Monday, May 18, 2009

Its hot,hot,hot!

Man, Oregon weather can be a booger! 3 days ago I was freezin' and now I have a sunburn. It cooled down to a breezy 91 today. Yesterday I went to nap and woke up in August. Whew! It'd be great if we had a week or two to get revved up for summer. Still, it is nice not to be cold and wet.....Oh who am I kidding? I wouldn't be happy if the moon was, indeed, made of cheese. Maybe if it was dark chocolate?? I think it's safe to say the baking binges are over for the time being.
Since it was so hot, I left the slider open in the bedroom, and even though the screen was shut, I ended up with three soldier beetles and a very thirsty mosquito flying around. The soldier beetles must have found their way back out,or are hiding until I go to sleep, but the bloodsucker isn't going to be draining anyone else. I will, however, need to wash the wall.
On the up side, my yard is in full bloom. The winter daphne and tulips are done of course, but all the columbine is blooming and the carnations, rhodies, iris, coral bells (thanks Melanie), calendula, candytuft,and periwinkle as well. I think I probably lost all the cherries to frost AGAIN, but the fava beans and peas look good. We have to have broccoli tonight because it's starting to bloom, and the lettuce is already bolting. We just put in tomatoes, squash and artichokes; cukes, okra, and pole beans go in tomorrow. The sorrel is seeding up and the radishes are ready. The swiss chard is going bonkers and the basil loves the heat. I have two handfuls of currants this year (last year only one). We have the all-time favorite sungold tomatoes (got my first blossom!), a couple of heirlooms-cherokee purple and brandywine, and the cantaloupe plant that never died from last summer. It's a mystery how it survived. And I need to transplant the grapevine. Gosh, I'm a busy girl! Better get back at it.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm still working on the 'not dying' aspect of gardening. We'll see later on if I am getting better or not.