Monday, May 11, 2009

Bakin' away again in sourdoughville

After an incredibly long hiatus my oven is back! I've since been on a baking binge-just making up for lost time. Bread, casseroles, cookies with the g-kids, and the latest, my Aunt Monica's sherry cake. I can't say it was only nostalgia that compelled me to bake it. It was definitely a factor (loved Aunt Monica..also loved the cake.) But it was also because the sherry bottle was in the middle of the floor and every time I had to step over it, I was reminded of how incredible those cakes are! I was using it to hold a cone of yarn still while I crocheted and being naturally lazy, I left it there until I couldn't hold back the yearning anymore. Since there's only DH and me in the house, we've had cake for dessert for the entire week. Now I've been pretty good about not eating sweets lately, trying to keep my blood sugar under control. But not this week. It's physically impossible for me to resist this particular cake. If you've ever had it, you're drooling right now, so you know of what I speak. If you haven't, well ....I'm so sorry for you!
I never wanted the glaze some people put on it, so that helped with the sugar content. To me, it's practically a sin to corrupt anything so delectable by putting a syrupy glaze on it. That part wasn't hard to resist at all...but the lightly sweet, rich nutmeggy perfection? I sooo lost that battle! Come to think of it, I believe I hear the siren song calling to me right this second.....yup, that's the song! I'm off to serve up the last two slices. I've earned it, sweating all day planting the garden. And then I'll start a new crochet project...just not one that needs a sherry bottle to hold it still, lol. TTFN

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You taunt me with SHERRY CAKE!!! Meany.

Becky said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!